Zen and the Art of....Paddle Boarding?


Apparently paddle boarding, or SUP, is all the rage. Today on a 3 hour tour I was lucky enough to find out why. Thanks to our friends K and M, they invited me along to take the last spot in a group tour this morning and I'm so glad I did! I've always enjoyed sports and the outdoors, but this one is a supreme fav so far for the following reasons:

1. It's totally serene and peaceful. It's just you and nature (and a few fellow paddle boarders) out there just gliding along.

2. It's like walking on water. You can see straight to the bottom in good clear water and paddle right next to sting rays, manatees, dolphins and turtles totally undisturbed.

3. It's a HELL OF A WORKOUT! I Googled calorie burnage and found that the average male will burn between 800-1,000 per HOUR. Females burn between 500-800 per HOUR. Our tour was about4 miles and 3 hours. Do. the. math. (Our guide has lost FORTY POUNDS so far). Best of all....you don't even feel like you are working out.

4. It's mentally and physically challenging. You don't have time to think about all the other "life" and "work" crap going on because you are focused on paddling, balance, and marine life. Not only did I come home physically exhausted, but mentally as well....in a very satisfying way.

5. You can go anywhere and, most importantly, where boats can't go. Ocean, lake, intracoastal-it's all for the taking and exploring.

6. Falling is fun...and funny. It's actually a great way to cool off and getting back up is pretty easy. The ocean waves were far more challenging than the intracoastal and that is where I did most of my belly flopping, but I didn't even care it was so much fun :)

7. Everything hurts. In a good way. Even my TOES. This would be very hard for people without toes because it's a balance thing. Those 10 little digits are sometimes the difference between plunging into the water and staying on board.

It is So. Much. Fun. So find a local paddle boarding place and get out on the water ASAP! You won't regret it.

Many props to Coastal Paddle Boarding for a great tour and an awesome time.

Comments

Popular Posts