Decorah Eagles


I'm really blogging about these Eagles because I feel behind on my blogging duties and for lack of better blogging material currently, but I also think this is really cool. And, so does Smokey (our cat). At first I logged on to see what all the fuss was about, then I realized my cat was watching so I would leave it on for him, and then I started watching myself. Now, I'm hooked on it like a bad drug habit.

I like watching what Papa Eagle brings everyone else to eat (rabbit, fish, something with feathers...). Mama Eagle has the honest to God patience of a saint. All she does is sit on that nest, feed the two hatched eaglets every now and again, then it's back on the nest. (And speaking of back on the nest: aren't those little eaglets suffocating with big Mama Eagle sitting on them all the time?) Is that how human moms of the 50's felt I wonder? Sitting at home all day, feeding the kids as Dad flies about freely bringing home the literal and figurative bacon? Thank goodness for the woman's liberation movement right? That Mama Eagle should take off her bra and tell Papa Eagle to sit on that nest for 24 hours and see how it feels.

In spite of myself I am anxiously awaiting the third little hatchling to appear. I read somewhere, however, that sometimes the eldest eaglet will kill the youngest eaglet for unknown reasons (Darwin at it's best I suppose) and the parent Eagles won't do anything to help. I find myself irrationally defending the younger of the two already...yelling at the computer for Mama to feed them both equally and cheering a little when he stomps over the eldest to get a little morsel.

I think I may have a little too much time on my hands, but it's still pretty amazing to watch. You can find Smokey and I here on the couch with the computer turned to Eagle TV.

Comments

  1. I love your Blog. You deserve 10,000 followers in my book. I might be a little biased though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As I waited for the second eagle to be born on Saturday I was thinking the same thing... isn't she suffocating the first baby? It is hypnotic.
    What magnificent creatures they are!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ha...take off her bra. i love this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The way I look at it, God intended for the Mama Eagle to relax and enjoy her babies, to protect them, keep them warm, and make sure Papa Eagle is out there doing what he is supposed to be doing. Mama eagle is the bird that bridges the relationship between the young and the Papa. This scenario works for me....We don't know if Mama Eagle had to fly six hours the day before to Miami to be shown up by dumb peacock who may look pretty, but has a really annoying call to the wild. She might just be enjoying the boredom at this point in her life!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well said Pam! Maybe I do want to be a mama Eagle...especially if it means I don't have to fly to Miami anymore :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts