Walking on Sunshine (Sort Of)

I have been very neglectful of this blog of late and I must apologize.  Truly all of this work travel and Florida home shenanigans have left me feeling rather empty of motivation and care for extracurricular activities.  So, it's high time I provide an update.

First and foremost, I'm please to announce that Family Vacation 2012 was a success!  At least as far as I'm concerned.  The 30-A / Santa Rosa Beach area is part of my work territory, but I can tell you without a doubt that this area is nothing like South Florida - which is why it makes for a relaxing getaway.  The days are long, the people friendly, beaches are beautiful and quiet, the water is blue and there's just enough to do if you really want to do something.  The rest of my family seemed to agree which is a great relief considering all the countless hours spent trying to find the perfect place for all (remember that blog?). 

With the exception of one rainy day we enjoyed this spectacular view:

Blue Mountain Beach
The only thing that could have made this better would have been the addition of my recently sold paddle board.  The glassy waters and paddlers going by made me long to have my board back!  I wasn't really into paying to rent one, though a cute little shop in Grayton Beach nearby would have been happy to take my money.

The day that it rained, O, my cousin and I headed out to downtown Seaside for a lunch break.  Even though it was overcast and drippy, we thoroughly enjoyed chowing down on some delicious food truck fare.  My favorite was the mozzarella and grilled cheese sandwich from The Meltdown and O loved the hot dog with special bun and grilled onions from the Beachside Dogs trailer. Yum!

The house was better than I could have hoped for with plenty of room and a big deck for sunset cocktails.  The private pool was a big bonus and very refreshingly cold.  The walk to the beach was close enough for all and easy to park if we needed to cart along the big stuff in a car.  I enjoyed copious amounts of beer and sun with my sister-in-law's twin sister beach side daily (said sister-in-law is expecting twins herself soon and joined us for sun, not beer).  Twin sister and I pretty much opened and closed shop at the beach daily. 

Spending time with my hilarious and adorable niece was also a huge highlight.  She's seriously too cute.  She deserves another entire blog post all her own.

The end of the trip culminated in a most delicious dinner at Local Catch.  We had a delicious appetizer of Grilled Chicken Skewers and I had the Shrimp and Grits - O the Fried shrimp platter (which isn't even on the menu-but if you ask for it secret service style they will make it happen - bonus points!).  The icing on the cake, almost literally, was this ridiculous dessert:

Fried Oreos and Ice Cream - To die for!
We also enjoyed 30-A classics such as The Red Bar for drinks.  Great for a delicious dirty martini, eclectic decor and a coozie purchase.  My parents actually ate here and said the food was definitely worth the price.  Mom says the crab cakes were divine.

I actually had to stay over for work and O stayed with me so we were able to enjoy once last dinner out together at the Great Southern Cafe - I talked him in to going back down there.  I was truly dying to try the smoked gouda cheese grits.  And let me tell you - they did not disappoint!  Other than being a tad pricey (standard for Seaside) and a little loud inside (choose outdoor dining!) I was pleased we trekked back.

We even enjoyed one last sunset.


Going for work is just not the same.  It's official.  I'm a 30-A convert.  I can't wait for my return trip to the warm sands and uncrowded beaches here.  Another vacation with my parents and close family is always a gift.  You never know what tomorrow will bring.  I loved every moment - even the annoying ones. 

Now...if only someone would by my house! 

Comments

Popular Posts