Richmond Marathon Race Re-Cap

Ok y'all. It's been.....well, a really long time since I have written here. I have been trying to process running my first marathon, the Anthem Richmond Marathon, this past weekend and I've decided I have just too much to say for a Facebook post. I decided to come back to Blogland for a brief moment to re-cap this AMAZING race experience.

It all started about 8 months ago when the Marine Corps Marathon lottery opened. I determined this was going to be the year - I was going to put in for the MCM lottery and, if I got in, great - I would start training. If not, then I'd likely pick a half I wanted to do and aim for that. What I didn't count on was the feeling of EXTREME disappointment of not getting selected in the MCM lottery. I decided to ride that wave ambition straight through to the registration page of the Richmond Marathon (no lottery) and guarantee myself a marathon entry for the Fall. About 1 second after I hit submit, panic ensued.   I knew there was no way I was running a marathon without going back to my good friends at Resolute Running Training Center and begging Coach Alex to get me to the finish line ... ok, START line.

Here is where I insert my shameless plug of Resolute Running. What an amazing group of runners. This is a group I lucked into finding when I lived in Birmingham comprised of runners in every stage of running goals - from elite Boston qualifiers, insane Ultra Marathoners to folks who are working on their very first 5K. Every goal is important at RR and you'll never be able to beat the support from the fellow runners and the coaches. No running snobs here!

But, I digress. Since this is meant to be race re-cap and not about my journey (which I sort of posted about here already), I'll skip to what you really want to know about - the race!

Suffice it to say the 2.5 weeks of taper were miserable and terrifying. I fell during my 20 miler and something jostled around in my lower back. I was experiencing so much sharp pain I saw 2 chiros, a massage therapist and an ortho trying to work out my issue before race day. I was feeling restless and panicked that I had just trained 8 months and I may not even be able to run on race day. Under suspicion of a possible stress fracture and with a prescription of a super anti-inflammatory I did the only thing I could do - rest and hope for the best. I was going to Richmond no matter what.

I did not run a step until Friday's 3 mile shake out run. When I laced up my shoes Friday morning, I was in between being a cat on a hot tin roof dying to run off the nerves and being paralyzed in fear that I would be in too much pain to race Saturday. Luckily the latter did not prove to be true. Thank the baby Jesus and all that is holy, I was able to run 3 miles with only the mild sensation that something could potentially go horribly wrong by mile 18. I decided I would just take that as it came and hope for the best.

I have never been to Richmond and I was seriously impressed! Such a great place to run. The concierge recommended running to Belle Isle. It was a great suggestion! The scenery was awesome - fall leaves, sunshiny day and the gorgeous James River. I took it as the universe saying to me, hey - it's all going to be fine.






















Richmond organizers were doing tours of the course via shuttle bus, but you had to sign up and I had not, so Omar and I utilized dueling cell phones to follow the course map (via the AWESOME app Richmond has for the event) and GPS via the Google. We had a rental car and nothing but time, so we enjoying exploring a bit and I must say that driving the course alleviated a lot of fear. It was fairly flat and I knew what to mentally prepare for, so I was pleased with myself for figuring that one out!

I picked up my number at the expo (squeeeaaaalllll!), excitedly picked out some 26.2 gear and forked out a great sum of cash. The selection was fantastic and they had all sizes of everything so I was thrilled with the expo. Well organized, easy to shop, lots of selection and friendly people to help. I joked with Coach Alex when he called to run through the race plan that I was planning on finishing solely for the purpose of wearing all the shit I just purchased.


Omar and I had dinner reservations at Max's on Broad - a Belgian restaurant. I hate Italian food - I'm sorry, but I do. The idea of eating pasta drenched in sauce before running 26 miles makes me physically ill. I chose Max's because it had a large menu with plenty of selection of things I normally eat. Best not to upset the apple cart, amiright? Omar and I split the poutine app (aka french fries smothered in cheese, gravy and bacon), but it was so large I forwent my original selection and chose a salad and French Onion soup instead. We split the Lavender Creme Brûlée for dessert and I was full, but not overly. I did have 1 glass of wine to chill me the F out - I was a basket case on the inside.

Predictably, I did not sleep well. I never do. I tried a soothing sleep app and hit replay about 10 times until I gave up. I think I slept for about 4 hours, awakened before the alarm, so I just got up and got dressed. I went to the restaurant downstairs in search of my usual pre-long run fare - a bagel with peanut butter and Honey Stinger gel (the only one that doesn't make me vomit on runs). I ended up forking out $13 for the continental buffet - most expensive bagel I ever ate, but I didn't care. I dilly dallied for bit stretching and whatnot and roused Omar to head to the start line with me. It was a cold start, but I knew it would be perfect for running. I had a Goodwill ready shirt and gloves to ditch as I warmed up.



Honestly, as I stood out there shivering to death in the butt ass cold with Omar as they sang the National Anthem, I teared up. I tried to just absorb the feeling of being about to run a marathon - the excitement, the fear, the hope, the pain - all of it. I wanted to remember exactly how I felt at that moment. I kissed Omar goodbye and I was off - all the waves more or less begin at the same time. It's not a ginormous race - part of it's charm!

I was VERY conscious of doing exactly what Alex said - use the first 5K as a warm up and slowly increase the pace. My first mile was very slow, and I was just fine with that. I found a groove and stayed there for a good long time. I remember seeing the Half turn right / Full turn left sign about 3 miles in and thinking "Shit, I'm really doing this."  I really can't rave about this course enough. If you wonder if you should run Richmond - DO IT. It's well thought out and gorgeous. You see all the monuments, historic neighborhoods and the beautiful James river as well. Also the crowd support is spectacular - so many GREAT signs. My favorite was, "If the Cubs can do it, so can YOU!" and I also loved "Love your Run AND your neighbor."

Course scenes - trees
Course scenes - river




















The other benefit of driving the course beforehand is that I knew when I could afford to clip off a faster mile and when I would probably be struggling. I just relied on my knowledge and the terrain to guide me through a good long distance of the race. I drank at every water stop knowing that even though I wasn't thirsty, I needed to drink every single time water was available. I was timing gels with water about every 45 mins.

At about the half mark (one of the hillier sections) I was having some really sharp pains in my lower back and was thinking here we go - the beginning of the end. It was never quite enough pain to force me to alter my stride so I just keep telling myself, focus on form, focus on form. It became a mantra as I crossed the bridge from hell - a killer headwind and uphill for a long while. I knew Omar was waiting somewhere on the other side with my Red Bull and potato chips. I always had "real food" in training around this time in the run because gels started to make me feel gross, so I was looking forward to it! Omar met me about mile 17 and walked along with me for a bit while I ate and drank. It was a nice mental break and re-energized me enough to continue on.

I had to use the bathroom for like the last 5 miles so I decided I would go at the 20 mile stop. There was only one bathroom and a spectator went in just before I arrived and TOOK FOREVER. I waited for what seemed like ages before I gave up and continued on. I was really worried about arriving at 20 - 1. Because I had never run longer than 20 miles and 2. Because I fully expected to hit the dreaded WALL. They say the marathon is run in the last 6 miles!

I was indeed in a rather significant amount of pain by this point but I spent the better part of 20-21 being annoyed about the bathroom. From 21-22 was a junk food stop (SKITTLES!) and another wait for the bathroom that I FINALLY used. The final miles are all run in the Northside and let me tell you this 'hood SHOWS UP. The people were AMAZING. Mile 23 I had a mimosa and a shot of bourbon (I figured it would cure me or kill me and I was fully committed to vomiting in front of everyone if it went south - it didn't). 24 I was just excited to have 2 left and when I got to mile 25 and saw the 1 mile to go sign I think I smiled so hard it hurt.my face I knew I slowed down significantly due to the pain in my back but I also knew I was going to make it.

Northside!
Mile 25!!

From here through to the end is the other best part of Richmond - all downhill baby!!! I can honestly say I never even felt the wall. Pain, yes. Tired, yes. But I truly never felt like I couldn't go on. I don't know if it was proper nutrition, excitement of finishing or - let's face it - the bourbon. I really don't care, all I know is that Richmond was everything I wanted it to be - the weather, the course, the people, the swag(!) - it was a PERFECT first Marathon. No lie, I cried the entire last quarter mile and I sobbed when the lady hugged me at the end and handed me my medal. She said, "You did it Lindsey!" and I don't think I can ever explain that feeling to anyone who hasn't experienced the months of sacrifice, the pain, the blood, sweat, tears and hundreds of miles for a single moment of exhilaration.




The post - race festivities were great. The food was even better. Yes, we got a free banana. But they also had PIZZA! I scarfed two slices of pepperoni and collapsed on the fleece blanket (no foil!) until I could manage to move myself again.

Another high five to Richmond organizers for having a shuttle to take you back up the big ass hill you just ran down back to the start line (where we were staying at the Hilton Richmond Downtown - highly recommend for location to start!!).

I showered and laid upside down on the bed dreaming about the beer I was going to drink once I could revive myself, while we watched some football. I ended up finding a reservation at Tarrant's Cafe and we headed over to drink a couple of beers before dinner. It was the best beer I think I've ever tasted. I literally had 2 beers and was drunk. I have no idea how that happened. I ordered a bubbly drink with my pizza (yes, more pizza), which I promptly had 2 sips of and shattered the glass everywhere. My motor skills were a tragedy by this point - Oooooops!

The beer that got me drunk!
Death to Champagne :( 





















I couldn't wait to fall into the bed. Warm and full and happy, I fell fast asleep. Until 4am when the hotel fire alarm went off. No lie. I was in a groggy fit, stiff as a board and faced with having to dress myself and hike down stairs (STAIRS!) after running a marathon. Hilton. What. The. Fuck. If it had been a real emergency, I would have just burned to death. It would have been less painful that taking the stairs at 4am. No lie.

Luckily, we were both able to go back to sleep and I slept long and hard until 9:30am, at which point I awakened starving and ready for brunch. I asked the Google which yielded a place called LuLu's for brunch that we planned to hit before heading to the airport. I ordered the Chicken and Red Velvet Waffle and a Smokehouse Bloody Mary and it was EVERYTHING. I ate every last bite without hesitation.

Richmond - you were the best. From the great running trails, to the expo, to the marathon, to the people, to the food - YOU WIN. Richmond has my heart for 2016 - thank you for making me a marathoner. What an amazing journey, with the best ending possible. With that, I think I'll stop yammering on and just say, "Cheers Richmond, until next time!"


Swag pic!

Cheers! 

Comments

Popular Posts