Tuesday's 3 Miler

I woke up a little too late to hit the road running this morning. In South Florida, 8am comes with 90% humidity and 80 degrees...and I just can't bring myself to swim through the air out there. I finally got my replacement running shoes though, so I was excited to get out and break them in. Next stop...treadmill. Ok, yes I know it's easier than the "real" road, but come on it's still running.....right?

I do my morning stretches and crank up the speed on the old treadmill. (By speed, I'm talking about 4.5 mph here). My shins are hurting, my knees are creaking and I already know what's next...sucking wind. I tell myself, you're just warming up here, work through it. Eventually, my legs sort of go numb and I try to focus on my breathing. The worst part about the treadmill is watching the number slowly tick towards 3 miles. I think about what 4.5 mph means...a long, sloooow, mile X 3. Ugh. I struggle with internal motivation, big time. I try counting wallpaper squares, but I hate math more than I hate running. I sing my Linkin Park tunes instead. Eventually I make it to two miles and pound the speed button to get down to a reasonable walking speed (as if I was running that fast to begin with). A short break. Only, as all runners know, stopping is sometimes worse than keeping on. I run again. I stop again. I run again. I stop again. I pound the treadmill with my fist in frustration. "This should NOT be hard!" I say out loud. Who can't run 3 miles? Am I that out of shape again? I cross the three mile mark at 42 minutes...A mere 10 minutes slower than my fastest 5K. I can't think about 13 miles, it makes me feel like walking out of the gym, going home and opening a bag of potato chips instead. I finish with stretching...my right knee cap feels like it's going to pop off.

Later, I search www.runnersworld.com under the "Motivation" tab. Suggestion #1: Create a Blog. Check.

Here's hoping.

Comments

Popular Posts