The Devil in Disguise

Sodium is my nemesis. If you are on Facebook at all, you have probably realized by now that my new obsession is seeking out low sodium foods and a low sodium diet. There are many aspects to a diet that work to help you lose weight. Of course, we all know the only real tried and true method of weight loss is calories in/calories out. You have to consume less than you burn to see results. People achieve this in different ways (and I've tried many of them). What I've realized though is that no one talks about the effects of sodium on your weight loss. In fact, most weight loss methods focus solely on calories. Even what I consider to be the best programs (i.e. easiest to follow) like Weight Watchers do not address sodium content.

I read an article the other day that stated that 70% of Americans should be consuming 1500 mg or less and the rest should be around 2300 mg. The average American consumes nearly 4000 mg a day without even realizing it. I have discovered that sodium is literally in EVERYTHING. This is very difficult for me because I am a salty person. I'd rather eat chips than ice cream. And, as Omar points out regularly to me, I put salt on almost everything before I even eat it...even my fruit...yikes. I know this about myself, but I've always seen sugar as the true diet killer. Lucky for me, I don't care for dessert right? I'm discovering that my salt intake has been just as detrimental as anyone else's battle with sweets.

So, yes, I am watching my calorie intake (about 1600) but I'm finding that watching my sodium forces me to eat lower calorie foods anyway so it's kind of a win win. I have been using caloriecount.com which gives you a nice analysis of your intake at the end of the day (carbs, protein, fats, sodium, etc). The first day I entered in my food, my sodium was a shocking 3900 mg (and I thought I ate well!). I hit my calorie mark, but seeing the amount of sodium I consumed on paper was sort of a reality check. The same article I mentioned above said low sodium diets have been effective in knocking of up to 10 excess pounds almost immediately and giving weight loss a good jump start. Since I started, less than a week, ago I have lost a total of 4 pounds. Amazing!

So I will leave you with this:

1 serving of Hillshire Farms Roast Beef = 760 mg
1 serving of Hillshire Farms Turkey = 730 mg
2 Slices of Arnold whole wheat bread = 400 mg
1 slice of Sargento Mozzarella = 120 mg

Eating a sandwich for lunch can be hazardous to your health. And let's not forget these little gems in the fast food world:

Chick Fil A Chargrilled Chicken Sandwich = 1120 mg
Chick Fil A Chargrilled Chicken Salad (no dressing or condiments) = 650 mg

We think we are making healthy choices but we are not. I have a feeling this is the next major attack for the FDA. People should really be educated about this sodium epidemic.

I love salt. I miss salt. It's hard.

Food for thought-no pun intended.

Comments

Popular Posts