Farewell 20's, Hello 30's

On the eve of turning 30, it is only fitting that I bid farewell to my sweet, sweet 20's via my blog (and with the help of a black cherry rum and black cherry Fresca). As with every dying thing, a good eulogy remembers the good times of a life lived well. Not that 29 + 1 = death but, let's face it, the 20's are gone, dead, buried. There are a few things I learned in my 20's that I hope not to repeat in my 30's. They say the 20's are for learning and the 30's are for having fun-let's hope, because I sure had A LOT of fun in my 20's.

Lessons Learned:

  • Credit cards suck-pay them off and never get one again.
  • Using credit cards at bars is a really bad idea.
  • You can actually survive on popcorn and spaghetti-o's for longer than you would think.
  • The first guy you "fall in love with" won't be as good as the one you actually fall in love with.
  • Travel. Travel a lot. Move to another place. Leave your comfort zone and find out who you really are. You can always go home but you can't always leave.
  • You won't make $7 bucks an hour forever but you have to actually work (it's not so bad).
  • Be safe - driving, sex, drinking, whatever-just be safe.
  • Smoking is not attractive-at all.
  • Weigh yourself. 20 lbs creeps up on you.
  • Fast food, late nights and booze eventually add to your waistline-you are not invincible!
  • Learn to say no: to your friends, your bosses, your parents, your siblings. It's OK sometimes!
  • Blow your first adult paycheck on something you want!
  • Don't rent any longer than you absolutely have to.
  • Date LOTS of people-find out what you really want before making "the purchase"
  • Your exes are not your friends. Sorry.
  • Take a chance on love. Even if it looks all wrong on the outside.
  • Go to Vegas-A LOT (and go again when you are 30).
  • Where there's smoke, there's usually fire.
  • They go too damn fast. Live every moment of every day.
Hello 30's! Be kind. Please. (At least while I'm in Vegas).

Comments

  1. I should pseudo celebrate with you since Chris told someone I was 29 a few months ago. :) Good thing I still get to really be "29" for a few more years.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts