Your Body is a Temple...Or Not?


In case you were wondering, this is the first picture that comes up when you Google "athlete" + "smoking". Not a bad representation of my chosen topic today: Why do people smoke and go to the gym?

Ok, now I realize this could be somewhat hypocritical given that almost all of us poison our bodies with something at some point and still go the gym....like greasy food or 10 too many cocktails; but, really, smoking? Smoking seems infinitely worse than my overindulgence on rum last night.

I pondered this question today on the arc trainer as I, semi-stalker like, watched this real piece of work make his way around the gym (aside: by piece of work, I do not mean a hot piece of ass-I mean a real ass.) Unbeknownst (which apparently isn't a word) to me at the time, this guy was the one weaving in and out of traffic and cutting me off in his Mercedes convertible, reaching the gym parking lot about one hot minute before I did. I parked right next to him...mostly to annoy him. As I got out of my car I watched him, cigarette sideways in his mouth, putting on his weight lifting gloves and headphones (and not in pristine shape might I add). He was walking slightly in front of me as we walked toward the gym entrance so I was unfortunate enough to be in his vapor trail. And then, he does the unthinkable. He flicks the cigarette backwards narrowly missing my head. WTF. He drives like a jerk, he smokes, he litters and, worst of all, he has a blatant disregard for others. Typical here in in S. Florida, but this guy got my blood pressure up for real. (Omar says I need Yoga). I watch him work his way around the gym and he's that guy. The one that puts an absurd amount of weight on the machine, gets one rep off, grunts, pats himself on the back and nods like, "Yeah. I'm the man ladies." Gag. Showing off at the gym is not the same as working out. It's definitely not the same if you just hot boxed a cigarette in your car.

I realize this post addressed my initial question a little less than I intended and focused on this lunk a little more than I intended, but you get my point. Maybe. Have some respect for yourself and others. The End.

Comments

Popular Posts