I Broke Up with Mizuno

I have pretty much always hated running...like really hated running. The turning point for me to sort of only dislike running came when the nice salespeople of Fleet Feet told me that the Nike shoe I was wearing at the time was the completely wrong shoe for me: too narrow, too stiff, too small. Up until that point I pretty much only chose shoes based on color anyway. Who knew you are supposed to choose shoes based on fit and not fashion (geez). Two plus years ago I was introduced to the Mizuno Wave Alchemy 9 (pictured below).


Wow. Running isn't that miserable after all! I learned, as all runners eventually will tell you, when the shoe fits (literally) buy, run, and repeat regardless of what color it may or may not come in. This shoe could be puke green and I would happily put it on my feet. This shoe is probably the only reason I even attempted my first 1/2 marathon (and crossed the finish line).

A time comes in a runner's life where said favorite shoes lose their life and you happily head to the store to pick up your new pair when, gasp!, your favorite shoe has been "redesigned". Mizuno had to go and mess with a great thing and make the new Alchemy 10 in narrow only. Well, this bi-ped has some wide flat boats for feet and a narrow shoe is pretty much torture for these toes. Not to mention the user reviews for the 10 were horrible. I decided to forgo them completely and go with the better reviewed Mizuno Wave Inspire 7's (pictured below)
These got some great reviews for a lightweight motion control shoe which was exactly what I needed. I ordered from Zappos because they have awesome customer service and free returns (thank goodness). The two runs I took with O in this shoe proved to be quite difficult (don't tell Zappos I ran in them though). Run #1 I thought, "Ok they just need some break in time." Run #2 I lumbered along quite a ways behind O and thought, "It's physically impossible for me to lift my foot another step." They are, seriously, a distant relative to the hiking boot. Even though they were technically lighter than my Alchemy's, they felt like bricks strapped to my feet. There is no way these things are taking me 13.1 miles and a few hundred miles leading up to the 13.1. I was forced to come to terms with the fact that I had to break up with Mizuno. This is almost as hard as an actual break up. All those memories together, miles of road, blood, sweat and tears.....and then BAM! you're all alone with no prospects.

As much as I love Zappos and I feel like I cheated on them for going to an actual shoe store today, it was totally necessary. Thankfully, there is a Fleet Feet in Stuart. Once again, the nice people at the store poked and prodded, watched me walk and run and put me in a few different shoes. I really loved the Brooks Adrenaline but they told me my right ankle wobbled too much and my left not enough. Sad news, because they felt like marshmallows. Ultimately, we all settled on the Brooks Ravenna 2 (pictured below)
I took a jog around the block and took a jog to the mailbox here at home and so far this feels like it could be a winner. Tomorrow will tell more since O and I have a training run scheduled. Hopefully I'll be smoking O tomorrow instead of the other way around.

If anyone from Mizuno happens along this post, I'd like to say that I'm sorry to end our relationship. You changed my running life, but it's over. I've moved on (hopefully) and I think it's best if we don't talk.

If anyone from Zappos happens along this post, I'd like to say that you are awesome. I love your return policy (even if I sort of took a tad bit advantage of your kindness...it was only two runs!) Two thumbs up for awesome customer service as usual.

Here's to a new, successful relationship with Mr. Brooks and Running Happy (or so their motto says). Fingers crossed for happy feet.

Comments

Popular Posts