Baby Gates and Rawhides

Can anyone find the 100 pound canine in this photo? Such is life here in Birmingham at the moment. O and I are thrilled to finally be here but, speaking for myself, I have not yet totally relaxed into Birmingham life. After all, who can relax when you live like this? O and I often joke about how fast we can tear up a hotel room/guest room/anywhere we stay. Well, it's no joking matter anymore and it's not even our fault this time. There is literally nowhere to "place" things in this studio we live in. I thought I would provide you with some interesting facts about our stay here so far:

-There is only one usable knife to speak of and it's been, well, used.
-There is no elevator - see all that stuff in the photo (+ more)? Yep, we carted it up three flights.
- The hallway often smells like fried chicken. We haven't figured that one out yet.
- Ripley and I play a mean game of cat and mouse to stay away from the other dogs living here (see previous post about Ripley and his dog issues).
- We share the bathroom with the cats. Literally.
-O walks around with his shoes on all the time due to said above fact.
-Occasionally it is WW III up in here with a spontaneous combustion of fur, tails and claws.
-The dog wakes up promptly at 4:30 am and gets in the bed. The cats start meowing in the jail cell of the bathroom shortly thereafter.

Needless to say we are praying hard for the closing to happen very soon. It is harder than I anticipated to have O getting up and going to the office each day. Due to the nature of my job and this being a transitional week for me, it's been rather hard to be "at home" that is not really "home." I think "take me, take me!" when O goes to work. Oh, for an office and adult interaction!

As some of you know, our HOA board has also been giving us fits over our renters. From a last minute stall telling us that they weren't approved (good thing I saved the voice mail telling us they were) to a phone call on Monday stating their "kids" were swimming in the pool unsupervised and playing outside in the street breaking things - well, that has also been on my mind this week. Our renters are a nice family who own a local business in Stuart and they have a very quiet, shy daughter around 8 years old. Somehow I doubt she is swimming in the pool after 9 PM unsupervised and playing raucously in the street, but that's just me. If we have already gotten a call 2 days after they have moved in, it worries me what is to come. These board members are (as my 80 year old neighbor Sal says) Godless, power hungry, deceitful liars. They harass people over nothing. Even poor Sal wound up in the slammer over the nonsense of these idiots. Worst case I guess is that they start slapping ridiculous fines on us for no reason and continue to harass that poor family. I'm am truly praying for a miraculous intervention on God's behalf to help this family live peacefully in our home. I will never understand the intentional abuse of power on innocent people by these crotchety old yanks. Live and let live I say.

The bright spots are that I have discovered that rawhides and baby gates have kept me sane. Typically we don't give Ripley rawhides since he is so possessive of them (hands beware!). Disregarding the insane amount of money I have already spent this week, I went straight to the pet store and dropped $20 bucks on a package of bones for that dog. It occupies his mouth and mind for about an hour in the morning when he is the most hyper. After that, it's smooth sailing (with frequent trips outside and walks of course).

And the baby gate. King of all castle walls. We have gated off the kitchen so the cats have a place to escape, eat and poop in peace. When WW III happens, the baby gate prevails.

All things considered, we are doing well. We both have great jobs, both healthy, pets are healthy and we are hopefully closing on a new house soon. At least we are not destitute and homeless and we are thankful for that! "It's only temporary" is the mantra around here. We will prevail!

Signing off,
L and the Dog Pound.




Comments

Popular Posts