Middle Class Super Heros

No photo associated with this blog post, sorry folks. I just wanted to take a moment on the heels of the news this year that we will not be getting raises - of any kind. Not even cost of living increases. Depending on our year end evaluation we may or may not get a one time cash bonus (think - $3500 with 40% bonus tax, not big bucks). Even if I exceed (which I did), it feels a little like a slap in the face.

I suppose I should be thankful for anything extra, even just a job. And then I think, isn't that the major flaw in the current methodology of business practices? You see, companies know that the people holding the jobs are desperate to keep them. But does that make it right for companies to use a lousy economy to treat employees any way they want? They know we are thinking "I'm just so glad to have a job." They want more production, from fewer people, for less money. It's a little sad I think. Employees are in the "golden handcuffs" and the companies are in the sweet spot, with the upper hand, writing the checks.

I don't know what the solution to the problem is but I do know one thing: I am a damn good employee. I work hard, exceed goals, and care about my future. I have a lot of knowledge and a lot of marketable skills. Let's not take advantage of the middle class superheros, corporate America. Okay? Thanks.

Comments

Popular Posts