How Does Your Garden Grow?

I thought I should post a photo of my garden progress for those who are wondering if I have killed anything yet. 

Remember those little sprouts in an earlier blog post?  These are now full grown plants - yes, full grown plants!

From left to right:

Front Row: Watermelon.  These things are HUGE.  No melon yet but I think the vines are going to take over the rest of the garden.  I'm not sure what to do about that yet.  These also look the healthiest so far and appear to be thriving in the rocky soil we have here.

Second Row: Kale! I had four of everything but only two kale plants are looking bushy and tasty right now.  The others appear to have died off.  I'm not sure when to pick the kale, how to pick the kale or really what to do after you pick the kale so I'm just leaving it alone right now.  The rest of this row looks like a barren wasteland because zero out of four onion plants made it and only two out of four kale plants. 

Third Row: Okra and jalapenos.  The okra is looking strong so far though something is eating holes in my leaves. It appears they have little okra pods so maybe something good is still happening? I haven't had time to research weed or pest control for gardens so I'm not really sure what I'm doing there.  I guess I'm just hoping they survive?  I should probably be more proactive there...hmmm.  Suggestions fellow gardeners?

Back Row: Tomatoes and more peppers.  Ok, so I have some stellar tomato plants and some that must have been too leggy in the beginning because the stems are curved and they are growing too low to the ground.  If I straighten the leg it will break so I really don't know what to do about this problem. At least two of the pepper plants have this problem too.  I'm thinking sticks and twine to help them aim upward, but I'm really not sure...I'll welcome suggestions here too by the way (ahem...Nannie).

So there you have it! Some tragic deaths, some developmentally disabled and some perfect.  Not bad for a first try growing them all from seeds!  I'm feeling pretty proud so far.  Of course - if they actually bear fruit/veggies it will still feel like a miracle. And, it probably is with me in charge.

Comments

  1. Try staking your tomatoes or go to Home Depot or Lowes and get the tomato cages. The tomatoes want to climb. You generally stake or cage them early in the process.

    Also, if you have insect problems, buy some sevin dust at Home Depot or Lowes and sprinkle it on the leaves.

    Happy Gardening!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I have the tomato cages but I think they were not tall enough to start climbing them when I put them out there so they got gimpy. I will get stakes!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts