I Like Big ...

Watermelons and I cannot lie.  You mother....{sing amongst yourselves}

Ok, but seriously.  I came home from my most recent foray into the lives of the rich and famous to a garden gone wild.  I've been monitoring my biggest watermelon for some time now debating on when to harvest it.   Google has been somewhat of a help and [cringe] I even watched a YouTube video on melon picking.  Yesterday I decided it was time.  So, I went out to the patch with my garden shears ready to cut the umbilical cord of life to the baby I've been birthing for 90+ days.  I poked, I prodded, I inspected, I thumped and I still just couldn't commit.  I was seriously in the garden for about 20 minutes staring at this big ol' melon.  I put the shears to the vine, I took them away and so on until I turned my head, closed my eyes and...snip.  Death to the watermelon.  I was a little excited and a little devastated about the whole thing all at the same time.  I picked up the melon - well, after much slip sliding and dirt streaking I wrangled it is a more accurate description. This thing was ridic heavy. Omar says 10 pounds.  I say like 30 pounds.  I still wasn't sure if I had done the right thing, but I figured how much bigger could this thing honestly get?!

After Harvest:

Ginormous watermelon

Huge right?  Much ado about nothing later, Omar decides to finally cut it open. I held my breath.  Who knows what it looked like inside.  Well, my friends.  It looked like this:





Perfection. I may or may not have jumped up and down a little.  And though I was extremely sad to dice up my baby (we all know how attached I get to inanimate objects) - it was delicious.  Better than any store bought watermelon - ever.  If you count the hours of labor, and money spent buying seeds, watering and weed control it's probably also the most expensive watermelon I've ever eaten as well.  But hey - I GREW IT.  A miracle.

The rest of the garden is doing pretty well too.  I have a million jalapenos coming in - like I will never be able to eat that many.  The kale burnt up in the heat wave weeks ago - oh well.  The tomatoes : still non-existent [sigh].  The okra is out of control.  You saw how big that melon was yes? Well, meet the Jolly Green Giant of all okras:


Abnormal okra
I mean what in the?!

I cooked it all up into a big pot of okra and tomatoes - of course, only I will be eating.  Omar scoffs at greens.  I scoff at Omar. 

I have two more watermelons that are getting close to being ready as well.  I may wait a little longer on these two though and see what happens.  A smashing success thus far.

And that, dear readers, is this week's installment of Adventures in Gardening.  Toodles.


Comments

Popular Posts