Ruminations from the Road

I contemplate many things while traveling - as I am sure everyone does. Here I sit in Charlotte Douglas on a layover whiling away my last hour in semi-Southern civilization on my way to the chaotic Miami swamp. Aside from all of the standard life issues of late (see prior posts about HOA), I'm left to ponder the peculiarity of the rest of the human population.

In particular, behavior. Some questions that have arisen both in the past and on today:

1. As a frequent traveler I know that after I check in at the kiosk, I move over and wait for my name to be called for a bag tag thereby leaving room for the next poor sap to fork out their own bag fee and retrieve a sub par seat assignment. This morning I squeezed in after the woman in front of me (who admittedly already tested my patience) and I overheard "blah,blah, blah...impatient." Hmmm. And I thought I was expediting. No matter. While I feel bad my behavior was interpreted as rude - isn't this common sense? Really? I mean really.

2. Why bother with awesome Beats headphones if you are going to wear them around your neck and turn up the volume? Really? I mean really. Obviously you didn't catch my "I will cut you" look. Maybe I will verbalize that next time and take my chances with TSA.

3. Another obvious sin on an airplane is using the strongest scented lotion and/or perfume imaginable (equal to unwrapping a tuna sandwich). I don't even have a good sniffer and I had to mouth breathe. But then I tasted it. Really? I mean really.

4. On the moving sidewalk - MOVE. It's nice to get a free trip to your gate with no effort on your part, but at least stand aside for the rest of us. Really? I mean really.

5. If you know you will take up half of someone else's seat (I.E. mine) please be considerate and move to an empty seat or plan ahead. I am truly not insensitive to this problem. Just don't be an ostrich about it.

5. While I love the southern hospitality in the Charlotte airport (and the awesome rocking chairs) I am confused as to why they have bathroom attendants and tip jars like a night club. We have already been nickel and dimed for everything else along the way so please pardon me for not paying for my paper towel too. Really? I mean really.

And so it goes. I sit, I ponder, I wait. Such is the life of a traveler. Forever in motion and always standing still.

Blog edit: to the woman who just emphatically insisted I am in your seat: F = window seat. You really had to make me get up and point it out to you? It's written on the damn plane! Really? I mean really.

Comments

Popular Posts