Politicking and Pink Ain't Perfect



Oh boy.  The most loathed and loved subject in the country right now, the dirtiest of all words: politics!  Everyone who knows me knows I'm pretty mild mannered and free spirited.  My decisions are sometimes made by the direction the wind is blowing.  Some would call me liberal, others would call me uninterested. 

Sometimes O and I discuss politics and he argues that his vote doesn't count, that our electoral college system is broken (I agree somewhat).  However, the one thing I do know for certain, for sure is this: someones brother, sister, dad, son, daughter, mother, etc. has given their life along the way for my right to:


And so I will. 

Unfortunately, I am what you would call the independent (libertarian) voter.  I do not draw extreme party lines and tend to vote with the person with whom I most identify.  I believe in equal rights for all and I am Pro-Choice.  I think the intention of social programs are inherently good and provide value when utilized properly.  I support hands off government and state's rights. I want to decide where to invest my future and not have someone tell me where to invest it.  I want health care to be a basic right regardless of past medical history and for all children and also I want to be able to choose my own health care.  I want for my retir(ed)(ing) parents who have worked very hard to be able to have the health care options they want.  I work hard and I want to keep as much money in my pocket as possible.  I own a home that I cannot sell due to a depressed market. I want our economy to rise up and for people to be able to enjoy the ease of finding employment in a flourishing economy.  I don't want to be owned by China.  I want small business to succeed and continue to be able to provide jobs and employ most of the workers in this country.  I want to be energy and oil independent.  I want to secure the borders of these United States and leave other countries to solve their own problems.  I want immigrants to have a path to citizenship. I think we should legalize marijuana and tax the ever-loving $@#! out of it.  I do not want my hard work and dedication to provide for someone who has no interest in helping themselves. 

I have voted republican and I have voted democrat. 



While I don't agree with 100% of each party, I choose to vote this year based on the most pressing issue of this time in our country.  I will not be voting for President Obama this year as I did in the prior election.  It's time to try something new and hope it works.

This should probably be another blog post but oh well.  Venturing not far from politics, I got an interesting perspective from a friend of mine fighting a battle with Hodgkin's Lymphoma: Pink Ain't Perfect.  October may be breast cancer awareness month, but it feels a little more like the imposition of Susan G. Komen foundation on society.  And what about all of the other cancers needing research and development?  They actually DO have "awareness" months, but I had to go look them up.  None is more touted, more profitable and more front-page than breast cancer - in large part due to the enormity of the Susan G. Komen Foundation. 

I have had the unfortunate circumstance of knowing people afflicted with colon cancer, breast cancer, lymphoma, leukemia and cervical cancer.  Two of these people have passed away (colon and leukemia). While I whole-heatedly support the men and women who have battled and will battle breast cancer, I do not believe that the NFL wearing pink shoes or giving money to a political organization disguised as a non-profit is the answer.  Did you know the CEO is paid more than $500,000 per year to run a "non-profit" organization.  I also know that you cannot use SGK's breast cancer logo for a charity event unless you agree to raise a minimum of $25,000.  They would rather not have $10,000 than let you use the logo.  I also know that they spend a lot of time suing smaller charities over the use of the word "cure."  Do some research and you will uncover many unsavory things about SGK. 

I am for ALL cancer research and support.  I do not support SGK.  I'm for supporting non-profits who put people and problems over self-interest.  I am for CANCER AWARENESS MONTH.

The End.


Comments

Popular Posts