On the Last Day of Christmas the Universe Gave to Me....

A case of the post-Christmas blues.  Yuck.  Seriously, we look so forward to Christmas each year and I enjoy my time with my family sooooo much that I always feel so out of sorts back in my own house.  Don't get me wrong, I miss my marshmallow bed and the company of my fur-babies as much as the next guy; but I also miss the cozy, comfy-clad evenings with wine and/or bubbly on my parent's couch with all the fantastic treats and accoutrements of the season plus all the people I love. Phew, I think that qualifies as a run on sentence.  But I digress. 

It really was a fantastic Christmas.  We left a week ago Thursday and enjoyed a wonderful holiday dinner at Little Alley Steak in Old Roswell with my brother and his wife, fellow blogger and sis The Housewife (read here: The Single Gal and the Housewife).We opted to not purchase gifts for one another this year and, instead, enjoy a nice meal and some quality time together.  It took all of the planets aligning and some scheduling sacrifices for all of us (especially the ones with newborn twins!), but it was totally worth every dollar spent and every moment of laughter we shared together.

Friday and Saturday we enjoyed spending some time with the extended family and my sis, niece and her husband as well as my cousins, Aunt and grandmother.  Said quality time including my first roller skating outing since probably 1989 with my 4 year old niece.  It was pretty fun, and funny, and - literally - backbreaking.  Hunching over a 4 year old for 2 hours works a few muscles I didn't know existed.

Saturday night O and I had planned a date night out to Murphy's in Atlanta's Virginia Highlands. This is truly one of Atlanta's best-loved restaurants, cany you believe I've never been either?!  Poor O is always stuck in the Roswell area near my family and never gets to explore the cool side of the city.  He really loved the city charm of the area and we both loved the delicious flavors and cocktails we enjoyed during our visit.  We met up later with an old, long-time friend of mine and her husband in another Roswell institution, Chaplins.  Chaplins is good for smoky dive bar atmosphere, pitchers of beer and karaoke.  And karaoke we did.  A little Journey, circa 1981, is always a good time.

Working up to Christmas Eve was a little more laid back with a few errands, church on Sunday, movies, wine and lots of time spent in PJ's.  We got to see my cousin's new house (her first), do a little antiquing (with mom) and do some last minute shopping.  O was SUPER sweet and bought me some Christmas Eve Jammies which I will probably live in for the forseeable future.  Christmas Eve, we went to church with The Housewife, my brother and my 2 year old niece.  She was totally wired and totally adorable as she sang and danced her way through Christmas Eve. 

Christmas arrived far to quickly.  If I could perpetually live in a state of "Christmas Eve", I totally would.  Mom fixed a yummy, big breakfast as usual and we enjoyed mimosas and bubbly as well.  Among the gifts included a beautiful onyx ring and a white Marc Jacobs watch from O, which I adore.  "Santa" brought me a Kindle Paperwhite - such a big upgrade from my current Kindle and I loooooooove it! Christmas night at my grandmother's was also fun and perhaps one of my favorite gifts was received: Gucci Premiere perfume - truly something I would never buy for myself.  I'm very excited to have a scent that I have been stalking for months!

Of course you can't end Christmas on Christmas!  We continued to indulge by having lunch at the Varsity with my grandmother, cousin and Aunt and met my parents at the movies for an afternoon showing of "This is 40."  The company was great, the movie was eh.  I would spend my money to see it in the theater if I were you.  The popcorn was tasty.  We did some more lounging, worked on the AJC's giant crossword puzzle and just generally enjoyed everyone's company.  I am thankful I have the post Christmas blues because my family is so much fun and not for a more somber reason.  Truly, we are blessed with such a fun family.

Alas, here I am in my living room, dreading the de-trimming of the house and the return to work.  A few days of routine should snap me right back into shape soon.  I look back on so much to be thankful for in 2012, and I can only hope we are as fortunate in 2013. 

Happy New Year folks!



Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts