Book Review: Looking for Alaska by John Green

Buy here

Already?! Yes. Already.  I read this book in a span of about 5 days.  I probably would have read it faster but I made myself put it down every now and then.  Yes, it is short, but it is also some excellent Young Adult Fiction (hereafter referred to as YAF).  Some of John Green's book reviews are not great and it seemed to me before reading this book that people either really like or really don't like his style.  There are a ton a rave reviews about The Fault in Our Stars, but I chose to start with the less obvious John Green choice and read Looking for Alaska.  This is Green's first book and I really loved it for many reasons.

First, a brief synopsis (once again, nothing you wouldn't read on the back of the book): This is a story of smart, slightly awkward, 16 year old Miles Halter who chooses to leave his uneventful life in Florida behind and attend boarding school in Birmingham, Alabama  (moving from Florida to Birmingham - reason #1 why I loved this book).  Miles is quickly accepted into a group of friends, which includes the beautiful, adventurous and somewhat self-destructive Alaska Young.  For Miles, it is love at first sight.  The book is segmented into before and after.  Because I didn't know anything about the book - I didn't know what the "after" was referring to until I got there and I won't spoil it for you either.  I will only say that this book deals with some common teen themes / issues including drinking, smoking, sex, awkwardness, acceptance, rivalry, suffering, first love and grief.

I was pretty much immediately hooked when I realized that the boarding school Green refers to is an actual place about 20 minutes from my house.  "Culver Creek" boarding school is based on the real Indian Springs School - where Green actually attended.  Green is so descriptive that you immediately wish that you too went to boarding school.  The characters are well defined, witty and lovable.  You can't help but be transported back to your own awkward high school days.  And if you are a high schooler reading this book, you will definitely identify.

There has been some controversy over this novel being used in schools as required reading.  People are far too sensitive.  Green manages to address many issues prevalent in teen society without ever making you feel like you are getting lectured.  The smoking / drinking / sex is in no way glorified - it just is.  And speaking as a 30-something adult - it was perfectly done.  I am not a parent of a teen, but if I was I would put this book in my kid's hands and tell them to read it and come talk to me after.

The beauty of this novel is that the language is so smart, witty and beautiful that you can't help but love it.  Adults will appreciate a good YAF book without the juvenile language and teens will love, love, love the characters.

I laughed, I smiled and my heart broke for the characters.  Isn't that what a good book is supposed to do?  I give this a 4/5 stars. Definitely read this one.

Oh, I should also mention that I had absolutely no problem reading a "real" book.  After the first few pages it was old hat and, honestly, quite enjoyable.

Next up? Well, I must admit that because I finished this one so quickly that I was left with no choice but to go back to my Kindle while working this week.  I had a Pixel of Ink freebie waiting on me and so I started it:  Abducted (Lizzy Gardner Novel #1) by T.R. Ragan.  I am already more than halfway through - whoops!

Comments

Popular Posts