Memorial Day Adventures, Mileage and More...

Whew, what a weekend!  Happy Memorial Day to all and, of course, big thank you to all of our incredible veterans and current service men and women.  Without them, all of the lake trips, family cookouts, late night game playing and cocktail drinking would not be possible.

We had a great holiday weekend "camping" at my grandmother's old lake house on Lake Oliver near the Alabama / Georgia state line.  The house holds many memories from my childhood, but most of them actually do not include the lake for me, so I wasn't sure what it would actually be like. The house had been rented out for a while and is now vacant while my Dad is deciding what to do with it.  We decided to go on semi-last minute adventure and tow the boat over to the lake and camp out.  There is no furniture or refrigerator so we literally took everything we would need to survive for three days - think large coolers, camping chairs, a propane grill and air mattresses.



It was an adventure from beginning to end.  We had never tried towing the boat with the Traverse, we had never boated Lake Oliver, we didn't know where a marina was, the state of the dock or the depth of the water, and I certainly did not clearly remember the small details of the house.  We had also invited some friends to come along and luckily they are also easy going and fun and up for adventure.  We had virtually no problems at all.  The Traverse pulled the boat like nothing was back there at all, the marina was super close, and the dock water was deep.  The only major hitch was the AC - which decided to not turn on (and a few stray creepy crawlies here and there).  Luckily, the weather was picture perfect.  A cold front breezed through and we opened the windows and doors and had a fantastic breeze most of the weekend.  It was, literally, like camping.  We woke up early with the sun, enjoyed breakfast outside at the dock and gorgeous sunsets from the screened porch.




Once the boat was launched at the marina, it was just a short ride to the dock where we tied up the boat for the weekend - easy access to the water and we were able to get out there and enjoy the *very* cold water, tubing, and lounging around on the water. 




I can easily say after this weekend that we will be working to convince my Dad to keep the house.  O has hundreds of little ideas about making the place a lake retreat and I agree! 

Aside from all of the fun we were having this weekend, I also had some running business to attend to.  Of any weekend to get off my schedule or make an excuse, it could have easily been this one.  Late nights, sunburns and all day lake drinking does not inspire one to lace up the running shoes early in the morning.  It's especially hard when your running option includes a loooooong uphill.  This is, one of many, reasons why having a running coach is a great thing.  I don't want to face the music if I skip out. So I sucked it up.  And you know what? It was a great run.  Really and truly a great run. How bout them hills?



I am also proud to say that I got in my scheduled run today.  After cleaning and packing and driving for two hours. After picking up the dog. After packing for my work trip. After printing out everything I need for work. After working on cleaning and laundry.  Can I tell you exactly how much I did NOT feel like stepping out the door and running in 83 degrees and 60% humidity? Not a lie. Maybe one of the hardest mental accomplishments in 6 weeks was getting in two runs on an incredibly busy and exhausting weekend. 

O is the best.  He is grilling steaks, making veggies and baked potatoes while I write this blog.  I wish I didn't have to hit the road for work again tomorrow. Sigh.  But a very successful adventure this weekend. Very successful indeed.  




Comments

Popular Posts