The Forrest Gump of Hermit Zombies.

Ok. I know.  I owe you good people an update.  Lately every time I contemplate what to write about my brain just shorts out and I switch tabs to Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest or Goodreads and do something totally mindless instead.  I'm really into mindless these days.  After the month of April I feel like I'm basically a zombified version of myself.  But faster than a zombie because I'm also running a lot.  Like, Forrest Gump running, a lot.

A couple of posts ago, I mentioned that I got into the Peachtree Road Race lottery and it's my first Peachtree - and, oddly, my first 10K.  I pretty much skipped straight from 5K to half-marathon in my running prime (prime - ha!). Anyway, I actually think 6.2 is a great, fun distance and I am really looking forward to my first Peachtree experience.  I needed something to get me going again.  Generally, if I am not signed up for something ridiculous, then I just sit on my couch eating popcorn while training in my head.  Well, I can promise you that training in your head doesn't actually translate when your feet hit the pavement (shocking - I know).

So I did something even more drastic than just signing up for a couple of races.  I hired myself an actual running coach (insert shout out here to Coach Alex). When he asked me why I wanted a coach I replied honestly: "Because I'm a quitter."  Telling someone you are a quitter is a great way to make a first impression - they don't know if you are joking or serious or crazy - because no one probably says that out loud. (Can you imagine saying that in a job interview?) Actually, at first I kind of thought I might have only said that in my head - but no, I really said it out loud. I'm not sure if he knows if he is training a mental patient or a normal person yet....

Coach Alex isn't just a coach though.  He comes with whole lot of cool classes and programs and a whole group of people (Insert shout out to the Resolute Running peeps here).  Me joining a group of people who are better than me at something could not possibly be MORE out of my comfort zone.

My mom and I laugh about this sometimes, but if you asked most people to describe me they would probably use words like: outgoing, friendly, social, etc.  Deep down I am none of those things.  I am really a hermit with varying degrees of social anxiety.  I hate large crowds, I hate being new at anything, and I hate trying to think of things to say to people that I don't really know.  Most people probably walk away from a conversation with me not having an inkling all that is swimming around in my head (or maybe they do, who knows). Anyway, let's just say I am not a joiner.  However, I also know that doing things I hate sometimes (usually) have positive outcomes.  For instance, I made myself join a kickball league in South Florida when I knew absolutely no one and I made some amazing, lifelong friends.

The older you get, it seems like the more comfortable in your own life you become.  I have a great husband who is truly my best friend, 3 fur kids, a nice house, a big TV with cable, a Kindle, my MacAir and usually a bottle of wine close by.  I mean - does any of that make you want to jump out of your pajamas and go talk to a complete stranger? I didn't think so.

But I digress.  Coach Alex has me doing something 6 days a week.  One of those 6 days includes speed work around a high school track.  This past week was my first speed work with the group.  Given all of the above you can only imagine my terror at the thought of making myself do this.  But I went.  And I sucked.  And I got in my car and cried that I wasn't better at this dumb running thing.  I felt embarrassed and slow and stupid.  I also survived.  And I met some really nice people.  And it's been three weeks and I haven't quit.  Those are three pretty big victories for this hermitized quitter and I am, gasp!, enjoying myself!

I can't say that I am going to be winning any "most-improved" awards any time soon, but my Brooks are still pounding the pavement, I'm really enjoying Lifetime Fitness on my cross-training days, and there are a few finish lines in my future.  Coach Alex may turn me into a runner yet...

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts