Pre-Race Probs

Ok.  I am officially in the "losing sleep" stage of pre-race jitters.  The Peachtree is 4.5 days away and I have already had some fairly dramatic moments.  I'm not even sure why.  I have never been a nervous racer - not when I unknowingly embarked upon my first half-marathon, definitely not my second and most certainly none of the non-descript races in between.  It's always just been a fun adventure. And let's not to forget that the Peachtree is more of a "fun" run than a real race anyway.  There are so many darn people, that I know it's not even feasible to expect to be wearing out the course in record pace or anything (not that I 'll be doing that anyway). So why now?

Well, I have a couple of theories.  One is that I lost 12 days of training and a full month of speed work due to the injury time out.  I expected to have done more than a 4 mile long run by now but, unfortunately, there was nothing to do but rest there for a while.  I did finally go to a podiatrist this past week as a follow-up to the ortho and it was a much, much better experience.  He was able to give me specific solutions for my foot - two of my favorite included strapping/wrapping it and a 13 day DexPak (steroid) for the inflammation.  Anyone ever tried a DekPak - that thing is crazy.  It's like literally 30 pills in 13 days.  It makes me a little loopy but my foot is looking - and feeling - better already. So anyway - there is that.  I feel a little unprepared needless to say.

Theory two includes that, for once, I feel like I am not just racing for myself.  I've invested 10 weeks of time and money into a real deal legit coach and he has invested time in me.  It sounds insane, but I don't want to "waste" any of that.  Obviously the race is still about me and I know that he will not be "let down" no matter what I go out there and do.  I don't know.  It just feels like more pressure to do well at the moment.  I know, without a doubt, that without Coach Alex I would have never made it through that injury hiatus and come out swinging on the other side and nor would I be a strong as I am right now today.  Obviously I know he just gives me the plan and I do the work, but the accountability factor is huge for me.  Having someone checking in on you and encouraging you along the way is, sometimes, everything.

Theory three includes that I am solely worried about stroking out in the Atlanta July 4th heat with an 8:23am wave start.  I do most of my runs outside, so I have been no stranger to discomfort over the past 10 weeks.  I've seen more sunrises than I care to recall trying to get up and beat the heat but you never, ever beat the humidity and that is the truth.  After running 4 miles this morning in 100% humidity, I had to talk myself through more than one total mental meltdown. I managed to push through and run the whole thing and I'm glad because I needed to overcome the mental part of the misery and realize that physically I was still capable of moving forward.  Always with a flare for the dramatic though, I decided yesterday that I would not, could not, should not run the Peachtree with all of this hair on my head.  I felt hot, weighed down and miserable.  So yes, I had to have a haircut - today.  I am a tried and true loyalist to my regular ATL hairdresser (shout out Whitney!) and I guiltily sent him a message this morning saying that I just had to cut my hair - the pre-race madness drove me to it.  I was nervous as hell to walk into a strange place and let a strange person put her hands on my precious hair, but I am happy to report - I survived, it is a GREAT cut and I feel faster (and cooler!) already.




Theory four includes that I cannot figure out my race day outfit.  I mean, you know, running fashion is everything obviously.  I feel the need to be patriotic AND comfortable (primarily comfortable). I cannot  find my favorite Brooks running skirt anywhere.  Ugh.  So, being the dramatic and insane person I am I enlisted a little help from my friends Zappos and decided to order another skirt - in a patriotic color.  I know this running skirt is tried and true so I don't have to worry about violating the "never wear anything new on race day" creed.  Bonus - it was on sale AND free next day shipping.  It is the BEST running skirt on the planet.  God bless you Zappos.

Order here

I may have also ordered a little something "extra" for patriotic sake.  I could not help myself.  I swear.  Zappos made me do it.


Order here

So that all leaves me where?  Drugged up, strapped up, dressed up, and hair-cut up.  I realize the longer this blog goes on the more insane things are starting to sound.  All for one little itty bitty 10K you ask yourself?  Yes.  All for one little itty bitty 10K. But for some reason it holds a lot more meaning to me at the moment.  I've come a long way in 10 weeks.  I want to prove that I've come a long way in 10 weeks.  So if you need me I'll just be here counting down the clock to 8:23 July 4th morning when I will stride out with 60,000 of my closest running  friends - all with something to prove: to themselves, to each other, to their friends, to their coaches.  Just like me.

Comments

Popular Posts