Is it Fall Yet? And other ramblings.

Who in their right mind wishes away the warm, long, lazy dog days of summer?  The answer? Runners do.  As July begins to fade into August, I generally have two things very much on my mind these days:  our family beach vacay in September and a longing for that first crisp morning run that signifies that Fall has arrived.  I guess those two kind of don't really go together if you think about it, but in my mind they are both signs that Fall has arrived.

I love hitting the beach in September after schools are back in.  Granted, the week we go is Fall break for many but the beach always seems so much less crowded.  Like our own personal blue water, white sand haven of relaxation.  As you may recall from past posts, I typically wind up with the task of finding a beach house for all 14-ish of us down in Seaside.  I always think the house I have found will be perfect, but I am always nervous we will arrive and it will be a total disaster. It hasn't ever happened, but it doesn't stop me from worrying that I will ruin the family vacation somehow!

I adore going to Seaside in general, but the best part is the amazing 30-A running paths (Wait, that's a lie - the best part is the Meltdown on 30-A...). Last year I only went out for one run but I was in a far less dedicated state than I currently am.  Plus, I had no races and no coach to prompt me to get my lazy ass out of the bed on vacation.  This year I am actually looking forward to some good long runs around town.  I mean, I have to burn off the beer somehow right?  Last year between myself, my brother, O and The Single Gal, we drank an absurd amount of Coors Light - like we were at the store everyday buying more - what? We always thought it would be plenty. It just never was.  This year The Housewife will be able to join in the fun too since she isn't home to two mini-life forms. Not to mention at the time vacation rolls around, I will be a mere 4 weeks from the Chattanooga 4 Bridges Half-Marathon.  Crunch time.  Coors Light consumption and all - you will find me wearing out the pavement.  Since joining Resolute Running, I have become accustomed to the sunrise hour.  In fact, I have seen more sunrises in 12 weeks than I have in 32 years thus far.  I think my body and mind are finally adjusting.  Needing to run, in fact. So, no, it is not in the plan to miss even a single planned run or speed work during vacation.  Hangovers be damned.

Which brings me back to Fall (again).  Running in the summer is not my favorite.  Not at all.  But the payoff will hopefully reveal itself on race day October 20th when the morning dawns crisp and clear and I am suddenly transformed into a running beast.  I have never been one to care much about time in races.  My only goal was to finish and have fun.  That is still the plan, but y'all - I am getting so much better.  And for the first time ever, I feel like crushing my old half-marathon time is within reach.  Well, it will be within reach if I can quit with the aches and pains and hobbling about of late.  And for maybe the first time ever, I really, really, really want this.

It has been 12 weeks of aches, pains, travel, late nights, long days, lost skirts, new shoes, steroid packs, blood pressure meds, 100% humidity, Holiday weekends and hills.  And somehow or another I have managed not to concoct one single excuse yet to miss a scheduled run.  It has not been easy or fun sometimes.  It has yielded doctor copays, equipment purchases, hours on ice, Epsom salt baths and, yes, even some tears of frustration and exhaustion.  Even some moments of "Why am I even doing this?" Even some moments of "I give up."  But I am still here. Still going.  And constantly reminding myself of how far I have come so I don't think about how far I still have to go.

So, if you need me I will just be here longing away for a vacation and cool day to run!

Fall Day on the Helena Trail





Comments

Popular Posts