Peachtree Road Race Re-Cap (hereinafter known as the longest blog ever)

PRE-RACE

Whew! What a whirlwind two days O and and I have had in the great Peach State! As we sat in a tucked away booth at the infamous Flying Biscuit Cafe in Midtown this morning, O pointed out an interesting looking guy in a strange headscarf with his shirt half un-buttoned and I joked that we were Country-Mouse turned City-Mouse for two days.  Because my family lives north of the city in suburbia and I basically grew up down the street from a cow pasture, O never really gets to experience the "city" side of Atlanta.  I thought being in town for the race would give us a good opportunity to stay in the city and see and do some things he never gets to experience.  I ended up with a great Priceline deal for the Renaissance Midtown and I thought it would be a more prudent choice to stay near to the finish rather than the start (yay for thinking ahead!).  It was the perfect location for everything we wanted to do and - big bonus - complimentary wine hour from 5-6!

Before we finally made it to the hotel though, we first had to conquer I-20 in torrential rains.  I drove over because I ended up having to look at a last minute house for work, plus the whole trip was kind of for me anyway - I mean if we are being honest right?  At one point in my semi-hyperventilated and tearful state about not being able to see a thing on the road, I'm sure O wished he could just shove me out of the driver's seat.  I'm really terrible in bad rain.  And if you've read my Travel Blues post, you know I have an extreme fear of death or dismemberment from a car accident.  What? I live in my car - give me a break.

At any rate - I needed a Xanax by the time we finally got to Atlanta.  O kindly took over driving duty after we stopped for lunch and headed down to the GWCC for the expo and number pick up. I didn't think to have my number mailed to me so we had to go to the expo and do the whole dog and pony show.  I don't always mind expos and sometimes you can get some good deals on other things you need too.  I snagged a pair of actual running sunglasses that are much lighter than my Ray-Bans (and O can now stop hiding his Costas from me).  I also got an armband for my phone.  How I have made it this long carrying my i-phone while running without smashing it into a million pieces is really kind of a miracle.  Number pick-up was well organized and a breeze.   We were really in and out - shopping and all - in about 45 minutes or so. Success!  Then I had the bright idea as we were meandering back to our parking garage that I needed to go ahead and buy my MARTA pass for the morning. I knew I didn't want to be trying to wait in line with 60,000 of my closest running friends to get train fare in the morning.  That was a bit of a hike from where we were - and it was raining of course - but I was happy to go ahead and get it out of the way even though it is safe to say that we were completely waterlogged after all of it was said and done. (Have I said before that I married a saint? I did). 

After a couple of confusing passes by the Renaissance with no obvious valet area we finally got it figured out, got checked in and promptly changed clothes to take full advantage of the free wine for an hour before dinner.  Yes, yes, yes I know I said I was on a booze hiatus in preparation for race day.  But, seriously, what is a race without a little fun? I was also insanely excited to stuff my face with pretzels and beer cheese dip at HOBNOB Tavern in Vinings - which I have been wanting to try.  I also have a major thing for soft pretzels right now.  I waited 32 years to get on that train and now it is sort of more like a train wreck.  I can't stop eating them.  

This blog should really be in two parts one about the race and one about the food, but I digress...  

We had an amazing pre-race nosh at this cool, local little spot and - yes - I also enjoyed a tall, cold Georgia brewed Sweetwater Waterkeeper (ok, two of those).  Sweetwater is a Georgia institution and the Waterkeeper Hef was AMAZING. I mean, God, so good.  Thanks for the carbs brew folks! In addition to the beer and pretzel carbs, I also had a really tasty prosciutto and arugula pizza.  I would say I definitely covered my carb bases Wednesday night.  I was a little worried I may have overdone the whole eating thing, but it ended up working out because I think I was just so full and happy that I ended up sleeping great that night. 

Before I move on to the race, here is a little photo collage I did of the "before" moments along the way (the top photo is the 4 designs up for official selection for the coveted Peachtree Road Race T-Shirt).




RACE DAY

Both in fear of not sleeping at all and over sleeping, I literally set three different alarms Wednesday night.  I was really in a food coma - no lie.  I set out everything I could potentially forget knowing that I would still awake and a streaming chorus of "Where is my...." would be flowing from my mouth anyway.  It's me, it's inevitable.  I am incapable of operating properly in high stress situations and early morning hours. I needed none of the alarms since I actually awoke about 30 minutes before any of them started going off (yay!).   Here is where I tell you again that I married a saint.  O, with minimal grumbling, smiled while I threw open the curtains to see how bad the weather looked, turned on the morning news and stumbled about in my getting ready frenzy.  He even documented the occasion with a race day photo. After much fretting over how drenched I was going to be by the time I hauled myself to and from the MARTA station, O declared that I should just leave already.  I scarfed down a Luna Bar and a coconut water and declared also that I should probably be on my way. 

I was a little worried about doing the whole trek to the start by myself, hence my dilly dallying.  Once I got to the street and started walking to MARTA, I realized that I needn't have worried.  Plenty of other crazy people wrapped up in trash bags, ponchos and running gear were making the wet walk with me as well.  No waiting in lines at MARTA (because my forethought did, indeed, payoff), the trains were packed but I got on the first one with no problem.  Basically I just followed the human mass and wound up where I was supposed to.  I probably walked 2 miles from the station to my start wave though.  Can you say warm-up?  

I will hand it to the Atlanta Track Club, this circus was incredibly organized.  There were signs and volunteers everywhere. Volunteers handing out safety pins, water, checking numbers and the whole nine yards (is that a pun? I feel like it could be...).  I found my wave with no problem and with really not all that much time to spare actually.  I only walked with my wave for about 30 minutes before we got set off. I even got to see my old friend Erin - how she spotted me in that craze I will never know but it sure was nice to see a friendly face! 

Running in general is a lonely endeavor for me.  I feel like nearly no one runs my pace - I'm slow and I can rarely talk anyone into joining me for a race.  It's one reason why I joined Resolute Running.  Can I even remotely keep up with those people? Hell no. But it is incredibly nice to have a support system.  And here I will vouch for how they ALL have the right to be running snobs since they are so darn fast and yet, incredibly, they are not.  Like at all.  And I'm so thankful that I feel encouraged to reach my own goals with no comparisons with them.  Yes, my training got me to this race on this day - but it would not have happened without the plan, the support and the care of a coach and a team that really cares about YOU as a person. Love those guys (shout out if you are reading dudes!)

Ok sorry - race day.  Rainy and wet.  Cloudy and humid.  Overall, it was actually a great morning to run.  The rain was really nothing more than a steady drizzle at times and it served to keep me fairly cool along the way.  Well, that may be a stretch.  I was still tossing water on myself at every water stop. Humidity and the "wet blanket" air has a way of suffocating you regardless of temperature.  I knew I wanted to go out slow and hit my first mile at about 12:30.  My GPS seemed really wacked out.  I don't know if it was the cloudy day messing with the sats but my pace was jumping all over the place and I decided I would just ignore it for at least a mile.  It must have evened out at some point because things started to make a little more sense. I really planned to be very conservative the first 3-4 miles but I quickly picked up on the fact that there was basically like a two mile down hill stretch in the beginning and I decided that maybe I should be taking advantage of that and not worry about fighting the big hills later.  


Kind of looks like the top of a Peach? Coincidence?




Turns out that seemed to be a pretty good plan.  Although I must admit I felt like I was running faster in that down hill stretch.  Weird.  I guess it was deceiving.  And since my longest run to date had only been 4 miles due to the injury, I wasn't really trying to kill myself early.  Oddly, I had plenty of running room for a while.  Oh, there was no shortage of dodging and weaving but I wound up sticking to the middle which seemed to pay off.  Well it paid off for running but not experiencing the awesome spectator generosity.  I missed the drunk guys throwing cheese puffs (my favorite) and I missed the other drunk people handing out beers and Lime-A-Ritas.  I tried a nearly catastrophic swerve for the Lime-A-Rita, but I just couldn't make it.  Damn.  

I did enjoy getting the Holy Water Blessing (holy and cool - yay!), the USA speedos, dancing Chick-Fil-A cows and running through the hydrant sprayers.  I planned to take one cup at each mile water station drink at least half and wear at least half and that played out well for the most part.  I somehow totally missed mile two - guess I was in the "downhill" zone. I kept waiting and wondering about the  mythic "Cardiac Hill"  and when the crowd slowed down, I realized I must be upon it.  Oddly, I didn't think it was that terrible and I ended up running the whole thing anyway and picking off lots of people. Me! Picking people off - wow!  Guess running in Birmingham pays off on occasion! I did decide to walk through water stop/mile 4-5ish.  Well, not the whole mile, but I gave it a good chunk of walking.  I just felt like my heart rate was so high and that  I should aim to get it back under control before my planned speed-work session at the end.  I'm glad I did.  I felt much more in control and ready to run again after that little break.  Looking back - my time did not suffer as much as I would have anticipated and it certainly gave me the extra lungs to push through the end.  

Taking that final turn on 10th street was awesome.  The crowd was really big by this point and I felt like I still had plenty of energy.  I'm completely impressed that I managed to run an - almost - entire negative split race.  I must be learning something after all.  There is nothing quite like approaching the finish line of a race!  The cowbells, the screaming, the cameras and the smiles.  It's everything you need to give it a good kick into high gear and ignore the fact that your heart may explode and/or you may vomit at any second. Adrenaline is a wonderful thing right?! I was, honestly, thrilled.  I knew my goal time was close (I had hoped for 1:10-1:15) and I was at 1:15 on the nose. Given all of my trials and tribulations lately, I basically could not believe that I had such a great run.  I never felt super crowded, my water plan worked out and I had plenty left in the gas tank - remarkably. I have, indeed, come a very long way.  Thank you, thank you, thank you Coach Alex! 

POST-RACE (it's really all about the food)

After finishing, I slogged through the muddiest mess Piedmont Park has probably ever seen to get the coveted finisher's t-shirt.  Gross.  God bless every single volunteer posted out there in rain boots handing out water, shirts and high fives.  You are special, special people to us runners! I did pick up a bottle of water, but I really could not even handle the slip n' slide mud pit to navigate towards whatever else was being offered.  I probably missed great snacks and music, etc. but I wanted to find O and take a shower and drink a beer and revel in the fact that I accomplished a goal.  Ah, victory. 

Finding O was a challenge.  He couldn't get past spectator barricades in some spots and I was like a caged zoo animal in the park with no idea how to get out.  Eventually we decided to just each keep walking down 10th on opposite sides until I could cross to meet up (a near death experience all it's own).  We walked the mile or two back to the hotel and I'm sure the staff was horrified at the muddy state of my shoes, body, etc. I kind of looked like it was a Tough Mudder race and not the Peachtree and I was ravenous.  We quickly showered and headed to an old favorite in the Virginia Highlands for lunch - Atkins Park.  We had a delicious appetizer of boiled peanuts and Guinness dipped soft pretzels (I mean, come on) along with a big cold Fat Tire on draft. I killed the confit wings fried in duck fat and they were perfectly perfect - Cloud 9 perfection.  We ended up deciding at lunch to go to the Cinebistro in Brookhaven for some more beer and a cold, dark movie - it was pouring again after all.  It was a great, relaxing end to a perfect morning.  We laughed out loud watching The Heat while sipping on Sweetwater and eating chocolate cake in the dark while the rain poured down outside.  Can you imagine a more perfect mid-day date?




I wish I could tell you this is the end of this way too long story, but I can NOT leave out our amazing dinner at TWO Urban Licks.  It was our first time and it has such incredible reviews that I couldn't wait to go.  There are basically no words to describe the whole experience.  We were greeted and sat promptly (with reservations) and our server took the time to explain each detail on the menu and offer some incredible selections.  We opted to start with the smoked salmon potato chips and I know O was feeling a little worried about that choice but we both devoured them.  I have NEVER seen O willingly pick up a large strange potato chip stacked with salmon and look like he was going to die and go to heaven.  I could have eaten 45 of those things.  O opted for the steak with chimichurri and I got the seared scallops on gouda grits - both were amazing choices and we both ate every. single. bite.  We were going to bypass dessert, but suddenly it came out that we were celebrating a late anniversary (well, like two months late - that counts right?) and they comped us a dessert.  How do you refuse free dessert??  We ended up with the English Toffee Bread Pudding and we polished that off as well.  By then end of dinner and the day all I wanted to do was un-button my pants, sprawl in the cool hotel AC and die of happiness. I definitely run so that I can eat, but I'm pretty sure 6.2 miles does NOT add up to the 50,000 calories I consumed that day.  But it was perfect.  I will, most definitely, be going back to see the fine folks at TWO as soon as possible.  In O's words, "If I saw Todd Stein (exec chef), I would hug him right now."  It was definitely true love. 

We saw nary a firework and could have cared less.  I was asleep by 10 pm and completely stuffed and thankful for such a great trip, day and race. It was a truly wonderful weekend away with a pretty great race outcome.  I have come a long way and I'm so excited to see what I can do next. 

Now that you are officially blind and bored, I will sign off and leave you with good tidings of envy and joy. Happy 4th of July!




Comments

Popular Posts