Alabama the Beautiful

Two posts in two days? I know, it's like a Christmas miracle.

I've been posting a lot about running lately - mostly because it keeps me accountable, but also because I really love it.  I really love a lot of things - like reading and wine and movies - but I almost never post about that sort of thing.  So anyway, I thought I would take a break from the running commentary (get it?) and post about a few things I love about living here in Alabama.

I'm sure most of the country, maybe even the world, thinks of Alabama as a backwoods, unrefined, redneck kind of place.  I mean, I do have a blue flame mailbox so I can see how that impression gets made.  But there is so much more to this beautiful state.  The longer I live here, the more I find to discover and love.

We have gorgeous Fall scenery and fall weather:


Great places to run:


A cool history in iron (basically, how Birmingham got put on the map at all) If you ever visit us you really must go to Sloss Furnaces - an amazing National Historic Landmark:

Sloss Furnaces
Small town festivals and tight knit communities:

Helena, AL Duck Races
Mountains make for seeing a gorgeous skyline:

Downtown Birmingham from Vulcan Park

Amazing sunrises over the hills:


The best boiled peanuts in the world. They have been roasting and boiling for over 100 years and this is a MUST visit for peanut lovers:

Photo courtesy of The Peanut Depot

Great food! Some of our favorites include:

  • Slice - delicious and unique pizza in downtown Birmingham. 
  • Gianmarcos - authentic Italian. 
  • The Depot - small town diner eats in an old rail station.
  • Tony's Hot Dogs - Family run. Best burgers in town. 
  • Donut Joe's - These guys get up and starting baking them fresh at 3am. Family run. The best. 
  • The Cajun Steamer - if you love N'awlins, you'll love this. 
  • Al's - a great place to grab a gyro. (especially when hungover)
  • Backyard crawfish boils: 



Farmer's markets! We love visiting Pepper Place.

Photo courtesy of Pepper Place


Incredible outdoor playgrounds:



We are only:

  • 2.5 hours from Atlanta, GA (Braves, Falcons, Aquariums and Foodie heaven)
  • 4 hours from beautiful 30-A beaches
  • 3 hours from Nashville, TN
I could keep going, but you get the idea. We are no longer the Birmingham of the 1950's.  We are a newer, modern, unique and fun Birmingham still with the Southern charm that drew us here.  Get out there and explore your own cities.  Fall in love.  Have fun and share it with others!


Comments

Popular Posts