2013: A Year in Review

Cheers readers! Another year has passed and here we all are on New Year's Day nursing hangovers, making goals and reflecting on the year's happenings. I have been absent from the blog for some time (once again!) and I hope that I will find more time in 2014 to keep writing (start writing?).  I know my last blog appearance left you hanging and probably wondering if we ever returned from Spain.

The truth is, so many wonderful things happened on that trip, I just couldn't keep up with writing them all down. We also lost wifi the day our cruise left and that was pretty much the death of my travel blog idea.  It really was a missed opportunity on the writing front, but I did thoroughly enjoy being completely disconnected from the world and living in each moment with new friends in new places.  We are so absorbed in technology these days, that we forget to stop and take in the moments happening all around us each day.  Life is slowly passing us by as we scroll through our Facebook news feeds, upload to Instagram and Google life's every little question.  I'm just a guilty as the next guy. It's nice to take a big time out once in a while to have a real conversation, see a sunset outside the filter of the i-Phone, and bury your nose in a real book.  There are many stories to tell from that trip, but for today I will keep with the New Year theme.

I love i-Photo because it separates all of your photos by date.  It was fun scrolling back through this morning and re-living 2013.  Here are some of the highlights of the year:

JANUARY 2013

It snowed in Alabama! Anyone remember that? I didn't until I found this picture.


FEBRUARY 2013 

After 3 years, I finally got a new company car.  The 'Bu has been wonderful and has kept me safe all year long.  We've spent 31,000 miles together thus far...


MARCH 2013 

I turned 32. Got a great bonus. Bought myself my favorite new toy in the Mac Air and....I became a first time gun owner.

APRIL 2013

I ran the Color Run with my family and got inspired to start running again. Then when the Boston Marathon was bombed I was even more inspired to become a bigger part of the running community. I made the best decision of the year by joining Resolute Running and getting a running Coach.  I am fitter, faster and happier than ever this year (despite my current holiday dip in activity).


MAY 2013

We made a last minute decision to pack up the car, invite some friends and tow our boat over to my grandmother's lake house in Smith's Station, AL. We "camped" because there was no furniture and we had a blast with long sunny days on the lake and easy conversations over beers at night.  And, since my Dad has decided to sell the house, I'm even more happy that I got one more chance to re-live my childhood and enjoy this view:



 JUNE 2013

I spent a lot of time running and training for the Peachtree Road Race.  There is not much notable about this month based on my photo log. But I can tell you that I got tendinitis in my foot and spent most of June in a funk over being injured and freaking out about running my first Peachtree. Here is where I spent most of my time in the June humidity:



JULY 2013 

My first Peachtree Road Race! I was so excited to go to Atlanta and spend the weekend with Omar and enjoy my first big "race" of 2013 and my first 10K distance.


AUGUST 2013 

I did my first trail run! Soaking wet, dirty, sweaty and gross and I loved every minute of it.  So much so that I am signed up for a Trail Race in 2014. Better hit the trails soon though or it's going to sneak up on me!


SEPTEMBER 2013

The annual family beach trip! One of my favorite times of the year! I love getting to spend time with my family and, particularly, my nieces.  Life is short and moments are precious.  I love building memories that will last a lifetime.


OCTOBER 2013 

My comeback half marathon! Omar and I enjoyed a trip up to Chattanooga for the 4 Bridges Half.  I loved the course, I loved the city and I especially enjoyed smashing my old PR by 15 minutes.


NOVEMBER 2013 

The trip of a lifetime. Omar and I enjoyed running through the streets of Spain, eating too much, meeting new friends and floating on a boat for 16 days.


DECEMBER 2013

A wonderful Christmas and New Year's spent with family and friends. Omar also accepted and job in Atlanta so I have been too busy with planning our next move to upload any photos from this month, but I will leave you with a couple of Omar's favorites.  We had a blast in 2013 and we know that 2014 will bring new challenges, new friends and new adventures for us to experience together. I hope to keep writing, keep running and keep traveling. Don't forget to put down your technology every now and then and have moments like these:



Welcome 2014!!

Comments

Popular Posts