Hoka One Love

Y'all. It's been a running revolution around here lately. Some of you know I've been seriously pondering a switch to the very expensive Hoka One One shoe. I mean it's like a car payment investment type shoe, which is why I have been holding off. They get rave reviews from trail runners and road runners alike, but I was wary to dive into such a pricey shoe. And, not for nothing, they are not anything special to look at either. Some of the models are more aesthetically pleasing than others, but in general they are pretty goofy looking. O calls them my space shoes. 

Last weekend when we were out running errands, O asked me if I wanted to go check them out. I had some Christmas money to burn so I relented. We drove over to see the good people at Alabama Outdoors - the only authorized retailer here - to give them a whirl. The salespeople were super helpful and patient answering all 500 of my questions about the shoe and what I was looking for. I do mostly run on the road but I have been wanting to run more trails since my first trail run this summer, and I am also signed up for my first 20K Trail Race in Mississippi on March 1. I know there are benefits to having a road shoe and a trail shoe, but for the price I really wanted to use the Hoka to crossover for both and I was assured by the salesperson that many people do this and do it successfully with the Hoka. I tried on a few pairs and jogged a few hundred laps around the canoes in the store before deciding on the Hoka Stinson Trail shoe. They really felt amazing, but I have a pretty bad track record with shoes so I still felt a little nervous. I decided to just trust my gut and get them! 

Here we are on the way home. I liked them so much I just wore them out of the store: 


You wouldn't know from looking at them, but these shoes are mega light - no heavier than my Brooks. I am, however, about 2-3" taller but I wouldn't consider that a downside unless I take a branch to my head on the trails. I couldn't wait to try them out on my long run this past weekend and I wasn't disappointed! Despite a budding blister on my big toe around mile 8, it was still the most comfy 10 miles I've had in a long time. I apparently have blister prone feet anyway so I wouldn't attribute that to this shoe - they are a touch large so I think tightening up the laces and lubing up my toe will work for future runs. 

If I thought these shoes were great on the road, I had no clue how amazing they would be on the trail. Since I'm signed up for this trail race, I have started trying to get in some trail practice on my longer weekly run. Also, I have just plain been dreading that long weekly run on the road lately. The trail makes things a bit more interesting. 

I am a complete trail newbie so this has been a bit of trial and error. Last week I hit the White Trail at Oak Mountain State Park and failed to realize that there is a, mostly, vertical climb to the highest point in the park on this trail. Whoops. Needless to say, I dejectedly called it quits at 1.5 miles in, afraid that if I went any farther that I wouldn't make it out before sunset. My 6 mile plan quickly became 3 miles. I was disappointed and a little frightened that I really had no business being out on the trails. Also, I did that run pre-Hoka in my Brooks. I don't know if I was just tired or have very bad foot placement or what but I kept turning my ankles on every. single. thing. out there. And believe me when I tell you that I could have run a marathon for how sore I was after that run. Yikes.

Today was a totally different story. First, I was armed with the knowledge of an easier trail in the park. Second, I was armed with my super marshmallowy shoes. It was a completely different experience. Hoka's tag line is "Time to Fly" and now I understand why! Ok, so I wasn't setting any land speed records out there, but I sure felt like I was! Instead of every little thing jarring my body, I really felt like I could throw my whole weight into this shoe and bounce right back. I did still have to take a few hike breaks but every time I picked running back up I felt like squealing "Wheeeee!" as I pounced through the woods. Boingy, Boingy, Boingy, Wheeeee! 

Hoka One Love!
Beautiful Single Track Scenery!

I feel like a completely different person after running in these today. I added 2 miles to my trail outing and all with fewer aches and pains a LOT more fun.  As an added bonus, and for your viewing pleasure, here are a few more photos of the shoes styled by yours truly in none other than my bathroom:


Time to Fly!

Zero Gravity Technology - AKA "Boingy Boingy-ness"

Killer Tread!

And just because I can't resist taking pictures of them on my feet: 



Could I have FINALLY found the shoe for me?? For the price of a monthly car payment, I sure hope so! 

Comments

Popular Posts