Snowpocalypse 2014 Update

There was quite a bit of excitement here in the South the past few days, no?  I was much luckier (and happier) than like 99.9 % of the Birmingham/Atlanta metro area population because I was, thankfully, working from home this week with no scheduled appointments. O however, was working in Atlanta on Tuesday. Once I realized that it was really snowing hard and sticking here, I turned on the news.  They had previously forecasted just a dusting that would be moved out of the area by lunch time.

It was about 10:30 here and 11:30 est when I started to obsessively call, text, and email Omar begging him to leave the office and head home.  There were already reports of ice on GA-400 and accidents were starting to happen. It was clear this was not "just a dusting". O, unbeknownst to me, was at a lunch meeting and did not have his phone with him.  I, of course, was envisioning him already on his way up 400 and involved in a car accident or something equally as traumatizing and so I just kept calling and calling and calling. Crickets.  Finally I left a very sobby voicemail that was probably really hard to understand. I don't even really know what I said except for begging him to just tell me he was alive and if he was alive then to leave.

Finally my phone rang and I was so relieved to hear O's voice I could have melted into a puddle on my hardwood floors.  O thinks he can manage any situation just fine so he nonchalantly says he's going to finish up a couple of things and leave.  Meanwhile, I know from watching the live ATL stream and checking online, that hotels are already booked, traffic is already a nightmare and the bridge going to my parents house is already closed so I am like "No! You do not understand! You must leave and you cannot make it to my parents, I am texting Caroline for you right now!" I feel sure that O thought that I was overreacting but, alas, all of my insistence and investigative reporting skills did pay off.  He was able to, finally, get to my friend Caroline's house (8 miles from his office) about 7 hours later.  Which seems absurd, but after watching the news all night, his story of success was far more rare than common. As for me, I spent the better part of Tuesday in a state of apprehension about his well being and finally breathed a huge sigh of relief when my friend texted me a photo of his shoes with the caption, "Proof of Life." A big sigh of relief and a teary smile, I texted her my huge thanks and promptly poured a glass of wine.

Since we expected only a dusting (ha!) I still had not been to the store after being back for just 24 hours before this happened.  I laugh at the bread and milk hoarders. Now, I laugh no more.  I have basically eaten chicken nuggets and soup for 3 days at this point. Snowpocalypse has been an exercise in creativity and cleaning out the pantry and fridge. But, hey, I'm a survivalist and I am doing pretty well for myself.  Other than the lack of human company we have been doing well for ourselves over here. Here, in pictures, is a summary of our snowed in-ness:
The beginning.
Winter Wonderland
Fun in the snow ... not so much. 

That's better.

I built myself a fire. No man needed. 
Watching movies and begging for popcorn.


Beautiful Sunset! 



I hope you and yours are all safe, sound and warm as well!

Comments

Popular Posts