The Controversial Olympics: My Thoughts

The Olympics are my favorite. Really, I love them.  I get super involved in all of the sappy stories and cry like a baby when one of them wins Gold and hears the National Anthem for the first time as an Olympian. I get goose bumps at the parade of nations. I genuinely adore what the Olympics stand for. It's a crying shame that these games are marred by the threat of terrorist activity and, frankly, the wacky views of Putin. From the mass genocide of stray dogs, to corruption, to gross hotel rooms, to vehement anti-gay sentiments, let's face it - Sochi maybe wasn't the best choice. Just saying, IOC, just saying.

But that is neither here nor there at this point because what's done is done and the Olympics are here and they are happening in Sochi. I have seen many people on Facebook and other media outlets expressing that they will boycott watching the games because of what Sochi stands for. I would like to offer these thoughts to boycotters. These are young American athletes fulfilling their biggest dreams in just a few days.  Many athletes may never get to do this again. Many athletes have done it before and it could be their last time. But all athletes have sacrificed a lifetime of money, time, and family to be in Sochi. The athletes did not choose Sochi. The athletes do not necessarily agree with Russian politics and many have asked that their families stay behind in the US so as not to be endangered with the threat of terrorism.

Imagine working your whole life for this moment and not being able to have your family share it with you because of extremist whack jobs. Just, for one moment, imagine the disappointment. I would offer up that by boycotting the Olympics, you are adding to the disappointment for young American athletes, many of whom are already alone in Sochi.

I will not boycott watching the Olympics, because I support our American athletes.  I will watch and cheer and cry and be proud of those who have accomplished what I never will.  I think of the athletes as soldiers of sport. I may disagree with the war, but the soldiers deserve our support, respect and admiration (assuming they have clean drug tests of course).

Comments

Popular Posts