Where I catch you up on the last 3 months of my life....

Wow. So my last blog post was a race recap? Eeek. I knew I hadn't blogged in awhile, but I had honestly not even logged in to look. The truth is that I just could not find the energy to blog about everything life has ushered our way lately. So many HUGE things seem to have been happening that they probably all deserve their own dedicated blog but, frankly, you'd all be bored to tears and I would have carpal tunnel by the time I wrote it all down. So, here is the somewhat more brief version of happenings.

1. We sold our Helena, AL house on April 7. Not without some drama including crazy cash buyers and the Great Helena Flood of 2014. I couldn't have been more relieved to cash that check when it was all over.

2. We moved in with Ma and Pa Holcombe. I had planned on about 6 weeks and we ended up there for 9 weeks. Not a terrible overage considering that buying a house was seemingly more difficult than selling one. For the entire time we kept the cats with us and Ripley was boarded with with our regular boarding place in Montevallo, AL. Those sweet people are angels here on earth and I could not have been more thankful for them. Aside from having limited possessions, I thought boomeranging was pretty seamless. I really enjoyed the extra time spent seeing my parents and front porch chats (and wine). It felt a little like a tiny vacation. If you have to boomerang, we really could not have a better set of parents to boomerang back to. Cue more extreme gratefulness for even having this option. We are very thankful for all of the help we received during this time.

3. We bought a house (finally)! After being beat out for a few offers on resales we decided to take a look at the new construction in Woodmont again. We really lucked out that the day we drove by, we discovered a house with everything we wanted and no contract on it. It was about 60 days out from completion and we practically ran to the sales office to tell them we wanted it.  The downside was that we couldn't pick a lot of things since it was pretty far along in construction, but honestly I did not even care. It had all of the major checklist items: big kitchen, wooded lot / yard, HUGE master suite, semi-far apart neighbors, cul de sac, great floor plan, awesome basement potential and slightly more than 2 car garage.  I can also probably run about 10 miles in this ginormous neighborhood - pretty excited about that! We have already enjoyed being close enough to family to drop in or have dinner anytime, which we love. We also loved when all of the same said family members dropped in on moving day over here with lunch, dinner and various other eats and drinks which kept us going.

4. And because right when you are in the middle of buying a house and moving, getting a new job also seems like a good idea. No? Well, I came across a position with another insurance company that seemed really interesting to me and so I threw my name in the proverbial hat. The process moved really quickly and one week I was an applicant and about 5 weeks later I was getting offered the job. I am SUPER excited about the opportunity. It will be less travel for me and a different side of the insurance industry altogether, which will be great for me. I resigned from my job on Friday and, as expected, it was not easy. I really did love all of the people I worked with, but I was just bored and unhappy. I also didn't see any place for my career to go in the long term. It was just feeling like a good time to move on. When I was offered the job, it seemed like total confirmation of the direction I should be going in. I gave two weeks notice but the company elected to cut me off immediately. I kind of figured they would. I was really fine. It did, however,  mean that we had to acquire another car pretty quickly - like this weekend (which is a whole other story). I don't start the new job until July 14 so I have three weeks to be a stay at home wife and get this new house in order. I'm pretty excited about it actually. Omar is already giving me honey-do lists - I think he is excited as well. I'm quite sure after three weeks I will be bored stiff though and more than ready to head back to work. For now, we are just going to roll with it and pretend unemployment is fun.

5. Running has suffered a little over the past two weeks. But, hey, now that I have all this free time on my hands I should be able to get it back together. I was in a pretty good routine again before moving blew up my life. I'm ready to get it back.  I have a few races planned. The Peachtree is in a couple of weeks and it's time to get back in the shoes!

Now that all of the big things are out of the way (I hope!) I can focus on the little daily routine things getting back to normal. Doing things like, you know, blogging perhaps. You would like that wouldn't you?

Comments

Popular Posts