Reality Check

Well folks, I have survived two whole weeks back in the regular work force. There have been a few very tough days along the way. It's always hard to change jobs and enter an entirely new environment, but I really threw myself waaaaaay out of my comfort zone with this one. Don't get me wrong, it's exciting and new and different but the learning curve has been huge. It's an entirely different type of work than I was doing before and I have a lot to learn. Not least of all is brushing up on my math and Excel skills. I realized that I now need a calculator that calculates in the billions - yeah, iPhone doesn't go that high (I tried). Basically I came home everyday last week with a migraine from focusing SO HARD on absorbing everything. Poor Omar had to deal with more than one evening of me drip dropping alligator tears into my wine glass. I think the biggest stress of all is wanting to make an immediate good impression. This job is very visible and I know they are counting on me and, more than anything, I want to show them that they made the right choice in picking me. I also have zero patience for not being good at something immediately. Yeah, I need to work on that one.

Let's also talk about how for the first time in, oh, 10 years or so that I am actually working in an office everyday. Like waking up in the pre-dawn hours and joining the rest of Atlanta in the slow slog Southbound on GA-400. The commute has probably been the easiest part so far though. I really don't mind the drive. In the morning, it gives me time to wake up and prepare my mind for the day ahead. I also enjoy listening to the Bert Show, which always makes me laugh and lightens my mood. On the way home, the commute is actually pretty great for winding down. I roll down my windows, turn up the music, eat a granola bar snack and zone out my brain a bit. Half the battle is mental preparation for the traffic and trek ahead. I've found that if I approach it with the wake up / wind down mentality that things are much more pleasant.

Everyone at the new office seems very nice and welcoming. Several people have checked in on me daily as I get settled in and my next door cubicle neighbor is very sweet and has really helped me out with a few things - including which cafeteria is the good one and which one to avoid. They are a fun bunch with summer parties and happy hours already planned and they were quick to make sure I was included as well. The only tough part about the office is getting used to working around people again! At home, I was isolated and able to focus 100% on getting the job done. There is a lot more miscellaneous noise and chatter in the office environment. This week I finally instituted the use of headphones. I hope they don't portray rudeness, but I just have to tune out the tapping pencils, typing keyboards, phone conversations, and the singing and snacking of my neighbors. But really, people get things done in this environment? Yikes. The headphones have been a lifesaver. And some good jams always help to pass the time as well.

The other big adjustment has been the food / working out / home life situation. I guess I never realized how much housework I got done during the day when I would work from home. It was easy to unload the dishwasher, put up a load of clothes, or sweep the floors on a 10 minute break from the computer. I was also pretty much a champ at getting dinner squared away on most nights. This week our house sort of looked like an atomic bomb went off and our food situation was nearing desperation. But neither O nor myself has much energy left to muster up at the end of the day. Which made me realize that our life is now going to require focused preparation and planning if we want to continue to eat healthy and have time for things we enjoy. And can I just say, how in the HELL do working parents get all of this shit done AND have time to spend with their kids? It is beyond me.  Which brings me then to working out / running - of which I have done ZERO in the past two weeks. I know one thing for sure - it ain't happening after work. Insert some more preparation and planning. As much as I would love to sleep a little later and come home and sit on my arse every evening, I really do believe that working out is an essential stress reliever and is vitally important in the big picture. In the little picture, I'm working on how to stuff that into the frame as well. I've been completely routine-less lately.

I think we made some good steps this weekend on the preparation and routine thing. We spent a couple of hours cleaning up our hot mess house from the week, bought tons of groceries, planned menus, visited Lifetime Sandy Springs about upgrading our membership (since it's closer to work), washed all the clothes, bought a Roomba to do the daily vacuuming for us, and I'm currently hunting a housekeeper for the bigger cleaning jobs around the house. I feel like I now know what it will take for me to get everything in and I just need to be intentional about planning and having things ready so when things get hectic we don't fall into bad food, fitness or cleanliness choices.

I know, from all of the bellyaching above you would never believe that I have, in fact, been a productive member of the workforce for over a decade. It's just been that in all of that time, I have really never had a "normal" schedule. I have traveled and worked from home for most of my career. It  is different now, so I'm sorry if I need one hot minute to adjust!

As with all things, adjustment takes time I suppose. So if you need me, I will be here penciling in every part of my day from here until the zombie apocalypse.

Comments

Popular Posts